Right now we live in a political climate where men's rights activists routinely say that women:
1. Don't really like sex, but just fake liking it long enough to trap a guy into marriage.
2. Will pretend to be someone they are not to trap a guy into marriage.
3. Routinely make false rape accusations.
4. Will trick a dude into being a father whether he wants to be or not.
5. Want to manipulate men in order to turn them into Ken dolls.
6. Will destroy a man's life at a whim - with the full support of the system.
7. Consider men to be so dumb that it's fine to do all this stuff because they know what's best for them.
All of these claims are completely validated by this film. The movie (just like the book) seems to think that women use their vaginas as weapons against men to get what they want.
What's intriguing is that the core audience for the book and movie are women themselves. The box office results show that - and at the screening I was just at there were two other dudes in theather and about 150 women. I can only conclude that Margaret Atwood was right in The Robber Bride when she claimed that women hate women more than men hate women.
That said, until we get to all the MRA bullshit there are some cool things going on in the movie. It does a great job at showing how the media can make people love you or hate - and and how quickly people can turn on you. It is beautifully shot. And Ben Affleck finally seems to be really acting again instead of going paint by numbers. Hell, Fincher even manages to make us feel sympathy for his lying sack of shit character (mostly by having every woman in the film eventually betray him in some way.)
The twists and turns are worthy of Hitchcock and while the movie is nearly three hours long it goes very quickly.
Still, I can't endorse a film that eventually concludes that if you, as a woman, are honest with men you'll end up alone, but if you are wiiling to lie to them, manipulate them and treat them as though they are just puppets (a metaphor that is actually in this movie) you'll end up married with childen and get everything you want.