I finished Michael Chrichon's State of Fear. I have to say that given that he is usually a hack he has some interesting ideas here, namely:
1. Global Warming is a myth. In fact, the world is getting colder.
2. Even if Global Warming is not a myth, it would be a good thing for the planet.
3. Global Warming became a big thing after the fall of the Berlin Wall, because the government needed us to be scared of something and the media likes both disaster stories and weather stories and Global Warming allows them to have both in one neat package.
4. Global Warming has spawned into big business and in fact is a great way for rich idiot liberals to make money off of fantasy land.
5. It would be great if Tom Cruise was eaten alive by tribal canibals. (This is seriously an argument in the book.)
It's the first time I've read a new piece of fiction that has footnotes inside the text citing sources to explain and justify what his characters are saying. Chrichton is obviously a true believer.
My favorite part of the book is how he constantly attacks non smokers. In fact, in what may be a first, all of the good guys smoke and all of the bad guys are non smokers.
Since I'm not a scientist I have no idea whether the global warming stuff he argues about is true or if he's just another conspiricy theorist.
But it's food for thought and an awesome page turner.
Rome Girl ordered her MacBook yesterday. Because she wants a QWERTY keyboard and not the atrocious French keyboard (which requires you to hit three keys for both a period and a @ symbol) they said it would take a week to 10 days to show up.
If she likes hers I might get one too when I have some money - which means I could go back to IMing people on a regular basis and not worry about my computer shutting down if I have more than three windows open.
We were looking at the MacBook in the store and I can't believe how tiny the thing is. She seems mesmerized - proving that size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it.
This is the first computer she'll ever own - all her other ones were lent to her by employers. To celebrate we went out and she got Baby Guinness shots at O'Carolan's.
We then met up with The Iceman, went home, ordered Domino's and watched the newest episode of 24.
She's in love with the Domino's Austrailian Pizza.
"I like it because it's not really pizza," she said. "It's a bread product that resembles pizza."